We've been incessantly checking Redfin.com on the daily, for over a year now (probably more like 2-3 years for me if I'm being honest...).
We've spent 9 years in our current home, touching every surface, painting, updating, installing, tearing down, and refreshing every single part of the home (well, except for the master bath, that's yet to be done). We brought both of our girls home to this house. We bought it as newlyweds. We just overhauled the back patio area by tearing out a 1000sf deck and spending a fortune on retaining walls and patio installation (haven't even really enjoyed a summer with the new patio!). We've poured our hearts and money into this house. So many memories happened within these walls. First words, first steps, first foods...
I'm going through a whirlwind of emotions as we've been invited to purchase a home, before it hits the market. It's a home much larger than ours. It has an office, a living room, a formal dining room, and even a double oven (my baking days just might resume). It has a 3 car garage, which was my hubby's dream (he's a tool guy). It also has a ping pong table in the giant room over the garage, and if you know my hubby, you should know that he LOVES ping pong and when we started house shopping, he had only two requirements for our new home. 1. a 3 car garage (or a giant shop) and 2. space for a ping pong table. I'm not kidding, when he walked upstairs and saw that giant room with the ping pong table in it he felt elated and giddy and like everything was right in the world.
Hubby has always said bigger is better - but now that we are faced with this big decision, I'm not so sure about that. Bigger means more space to clean, and honestly, our 2300sf house is a nice cozy size, I've grown to really like it! But then, I crave change and I have been wanting to move further east for a long time now. I work things out in writing pretty well, so here are my lists of what I like about my current house and also my wish list for our next home. :)
Things I love absolutely love about our current house:
- large windows with views to greenery out every window
- remodeled kitchen - designed by me, which means every single thing in there is purposefully placed. I love my kitchen (for the most part - wish I had a giant pantry)
- yard big enough for exploring and getting lost in (this is also a negative as we don't want to be slaves to the yard - but the yard was great when we had lawn care guys coming every two weeks!)
- our fireplace - it's awesome and is a massive heat producing warm vessel of toasty vibes on winter nights (and it wasn't cheap!)
Now here are my requirements for our next home:
- view of nature in the backyard, not facing any backdoor neighbors
- big kitchen connected to the family room/dining area
- an office
- a guest bedroom
- a soaking tub in the master, because I love baths (current master doesn't have a bathtub)
- 3 car garage (for the hubs)
- a big enough house to host big family gatherings
- neighbors (this is a weird one, I know. But....I really want to experience a neighborhood with lots of neighbors, where the kids can play in the street, and everyone knows your name)
Now comes the tough part. The house we have the opportunity to purchase fits every single requirement I've laid out! It is a stretch on our budget (considering we just refi'd our current house and have a small mortgage payment and low loan balance at present). We like to travel, and this purchase will shrink our travel budget. Also, it's in a neighborhood, with lots of people, and lots of kids. This will be a huge change for us - and one that I've been hoping for, but also, one that I'm unsure of.
The owner of the new house is willing to wait for us to get ours under contract, which is nuts in this market! Which means we are listing our house for sale THIS WEEKEND! I love stress (not).... We are listing our house on Friday! Pictures will be taken today and it's nowhere near ready for pics.
I'm freaking out a bit about the whirlwind of this house buying and selling business...but hey, the time is here, it's time to go, so sell we will. A new home awaits us.
PLEASE PRAY FOR MY SANITY!